Friday, April 12, 2013

Do you recognize when you are being mentored?
Early in my career I did not appreciate that people were mentoring me, I thought they were simply doing their job as a manager, providing me with feedback in how I could improve.  As I gained more experience and was exposed to a variety of colleagues, I realized that there was a difference.  Mentors nominate you for special projects or invite you to events where you can meet other leaders in the organization.  Mentors think about what is best for you, not the company or their own priorities.
Sometimes mentors deliver tough love, helping you see things as they are, not as you would like them to be. A mentor can be that fresh new recruit who shows you the latest and greatest app or the colleague in another department who includes you early in the process.  It is wonderful to have your boss as a mentor who smooths the way for you, but don't limit yourself to this mindset.  Be open to learning from all those around you - and be sure to return the favour.  Not only are you being mentored- you are learning how to be a good mentor.

If you are interested in mentoring or being mentored, join CanWIT at http://www.canwit.ca

No comments:

Post a Comment